Why have I decided to conquer it this year? The desire to make our library more student-centered combined with a teacher collaboration project.
For two years I have tried to figure out ways to get students to take risks on the 'less popular' books in our library. I have created interesting displays, book talked, and played musical books but students have continued to gravitate to more popular titles.
What was I missing? Student empowerment.
The conversations and excitement about the books that they have chosen to keep has led them to being excited about the books that I have been trying to get them excited about for the last two years! They are now begging to come in to the library throughout the day to get those books that they discovered during class.
The other benefits:
- Students are treating the books with more care because they have seen how many books we are weeding due to damage
- They are gaining a better understanding of the organization of the library
- They are bringing in books to donate to the library
- They are working together for a common goal that impacts them directly
This project has been more than I could ever have imagined! Next week we will continue weeding and begin a collaborative project with the 21st Century Lab to create marketing plans for some of the older books (unappealing covers) that they are going to try an increase circulation on. It should be another great week!